H.U. Dove & Company, Inc. traces its founding by Mr. J.G. Proud back to 1845 in Baltimore, MD. Housed originally and until 1984 in the Chamber of Commerce Building on Gay Street, the firm, after spending eleven years in Hunt Valley, is now located in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
H.U. Dove & Company has been a part of the commercial history of Baltimore for the past 160-plus years. Although its offices were destroyed by the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, the firm survived to assist its clients, owners of both residential and commercial properties, who also suffered loss at that time.
Originally established as J.G. Proud & Company, the firm's name became Charles Kraft Fire Insurance in 1875, re-named by the new owner as was the custom of the time. In 1917, Mr. Herbert U. Dove acquired ownership and the name remained H.U. Dove & Company until 1974 when Mr. D. Edward Lauterbach Jr., who had become the owner nine years earlier, incorporated as H.U. Dove & Company, Inc. The present owner, Albert E. Lietzau IV, with his father, the late Albert E. Lietzau III, purchased the firm in 1991.
Older than most of the insurers it represents, the firm has held a continuous contract with its principal carrier for more than 70 years.
H.U. Dove & Company, Inc. now provides all lines of insurance protection to commercial, institutional, and residential clients.